Mondays: 215-word Apologies for Ridiculous Situations Tuesdays: 215-word Excuses to Use for . . . Wednesdays: Random Challenges Thursdays: 215-word Survival Instructions for Improbable Crises Fridays: 215-word Fake Wikipedia Explanations of . . .

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Random Challenge - 215-words without using the word "THE"

One of my silliest feats was to complete this challenge of writing a 215 word passage without using English’s most common word. You can find that word listed as part of this challenge’s title. Really it isn’t a great accomplishment, and it hasn’t been particularly hard. I thought it would be. Truthfully, though, I think we use that word as a crutch of sorts. With a concerted effort, it seems any word is superfluous.

(Man! My thesaurus is getting a work out!)

I thought up this challenge with expectations of sky high difficulty since we use that word so much. And I have rewritten nearly every sentence you’re reading at least once to eliminate my challenge’s no-no word. In normal speak we say it approximately 5.5 times more often than English’s second most common word “I” and 11.8 times more often than “they” which is third on a list I found through Google. Astounding. Can you even tell it is missing from this whole stupid post?

For my next trick I will bore you to tears by omitting humor from my posts. That’ll teach you all a very valuable lesson – even laughs ain’t free.

Try this challenge for yourself. You’ll be unimpressed by how easy it is to work around that three-letter word. Try now!



Now it's your turn to write a 215-WORD THING WITHOUT USING THE WORD "THE" . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment